Friday, July 22, 2011

Another Tonkatsu Dinner...

Tonkatsu Dinner w/Tonjiru (Pork Miso Soup) & Tontoro (Pork Cheeks)

I'm a little late on my new post and checking out everybody else's because we took a mini vacation to the Florida Panhandle and then drove to New Orleans for a fabulous eating fest!  I'll write a review of the places that we went to in my next post :o)

In the meantime, this post is another one about Japanese Tonkatsu (pork cutlet).  I used different cuts of pork than the last time.  This time I used all Kurobuta Pork (Berkshire or Black Pork) that is fattier and more flavorful  than normal pork. It's originally an English breed and the Japanese took it to Kagoshima Prefecture to breed them there.  It can be found at many Japanese markets and restaurants.

My previous Tonkatsu post...
http://myhomecookedmeals.blogspot.com/search/label/Tonkatsu

Sliced Pork Belly in Package

I used Pork Belly this time for the Tonjiru Soup (Pork & Potato Miso Soup).  The slices look just like bacon, but it's not cured.

Chopped Pork Belly for Tonjiru

I sliced it up before cooking it.

Potatoes, Cabbage & Turnip for Soup...

The soup had miso, pork belly, potatoes, cabbage, Japanese turnip & pork stock in it.  Turnip isn't usually used in it, but I had a lot, so decided to throw it in;o)

Ton Toro (Pork Cheek)

I love this cut of pork and get it whenever I can find it.  It's usually used for Yakiniku (Japanese Style Korean BBQ), but I thought I'd try making it into tonkatsu and loved it!  It's a very fatty piece of pork, so I'm sure some people would think it's overkill frying it...lol  I also sometimes use this for the Tonjiru Soup.

Kurobuta Pork Loin

Last time I had the butcher cut and pound pork butt for me.  This time I used the Kurobuta Pork Loin.  I like this cut better when it's Kurobuta because it's fattier and has a richer flavor to it.  My friend, Nami, recently posted her Tonkatsu recipe.  I'd already made mine, so didn't get a chance to use her tips.  It's amazing how many different ways there are to make the same foods!  I just make Tonkatsu the easiest way there is...just season the flour, egg wash & Panko (breadcrumbs) then dredge the pork in it.  Nami adds oil to her egg, scores the fat of the pork, pounds it  & double frys the pork!!  I double fry French Fries, but never thought of doing that for Tonkatsu.  I'm going to use her tips next time I make any type of cutlet :o)

Nami @Just One Cookbook's Tonkatsu Post...
http://justonecookbook.com/blog/recipes/tonkatsu/

Breaded Loin & Pork Cheek

Tonkatsu Ready to Fry...

Ton Toro Ready to Fry...

Ton Toro!

I made a dipping sauce of Kewpie Mayo, Japanese Mustard, Tonkatsu & Worchestershire Sauce for the Tontoro.  They are like Chicken McNuggets made w/pork, but so much better...very addictive!


Tonkatsu

I really need to get better at slicing the cabbage thinner;o)

Tonjiru!

I really liked the Tonjiru better with the Pork Belly instead of Pork Butt.  Pork Butt dries out too quickly...

27 comments:

  1. Love it! I have to try making it at home... after all it is very close to cotoletta: I should be able to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you and your fancy Japanese repertoire Kay! Hahaha. Talking about belly huh?

    I love how you keep the fat on whilst breading that katsu. That is right up my alley. You must be an amazing Japanese cook, I mean look at that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm always up for a few new tonkatsu tips...and the soup looks delicious...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Tonkatsu recipe Kay and I also love the cabbage soup, my husband would love it with pork belly..wonderful pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so amazing and your pictures...I could just dive right in! I've never had tonkatsu, but I think it's something I need to eat - soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kay! I really love your presentation! It's just so Japanese! I ♥ the plate & bowl! :D
    Your Ton Toro looks like nuggets/chicken tenders served in Burger King! That bowl of Tonjiru is so appetizing and those fats in Kurobuta Pork Loin is just perfect for the tenderness of your Tonkatsu! :D

    *I've never thot of double frying my french fries! Tks for the tips Kay! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole dinner is outstanding! I'm a big fan of tonkatsu but haven't attempted to make it at home before :) Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly one of those I try out at Japanese restaurants but don't cook at home for my hubby is pork free. Its so delicious with such a lovely crispy outer layer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, great recipe and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious meal. You made perfect tonkatsu. Love the soup, really do. i must make that. Very comforting dish. Now I'm craving pork.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos and great post. I've loved good tonkatsu since being introduced to it when we lived in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Pola! Yes very similar to cotoletta...yum!

    Thanks, Pierre! Always love any type of belly :o) A lot of Japanese foods are pretty easy to cook too.

    Thanks, Theresa, I also love finding out new tips;o)

    Thanks, Sandra, yeah, that soup is pretty good with the pork belly...well, just about anything is good with pork belly;o)

    Ann, you need to go to a Japanese restaurant and try tonkatsu or better yet, make it at home :o)

    Lyn, you are always the sweetest, thank you!!

    Thank you so much, Parsley! If you know how to fry stuff, it's not that hard to make tonkatsu;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Nava, it must be hard when hubby doesn't like stuff that you like :o( I'm lucky, my hubby eats just about everything!

    Thanks, 1recette:o)

    Thanks, Joy :o)

    Rosemary :o)

    Adora, yes, this soup is very good and comforting!

    Loren, so jealous that you got to live in Hawaii! Love the food there. Thanks for the sweet comments :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really do need to get myself into Japanese cooking because you make it look soooooo tasty!!! I hope you had a great vacation and ooh, that the weather wasn't too bad. It's great here at home in So Cal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dish looks fantastic! Gorgeous presentation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kayo - Oishisooooo! I need to find Kurobuta at my local Nijiya next time. Thanks for the link, and I also post your link on my FB page. ;-) I make Tonjiru often too. It's my #1 favorite miso soup. My kids love Tontoro for Yakiniku and we always have several pack in freezer. It is soft and easier for kids to eat. It's meat from neck, right? My mom brought Tonkatsu sauce from Wako. We're so excited to make Tonkatsu again and pour that sauce!!! It's going to be good. I really need Kurobuta for this special meal! Your pictures look wonderful and forget TS. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good! I especially am craving the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh your katsu looks so good! Now I have a craving for a katsu sandwich... I might have to stop by marukai tomorrow. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful tea cup. I adore lovely ceramics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, woman. That tonkatsu looks sublime... And your pics just keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. UNBELIEVABLE photos. I'm bookmarking this blog to come back to later. I love how you get down into the details of what kind of cut to use.

    If you're looking for a slightly healthier option, I make a tonkatsu knockoff with turkey (recipe here: http://www.cookingthreetimes.com/turkey-schnitzel)

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful. The Tonkatsu looks unbelievable just perfectly crisp and wonderful just the way I like it. The picture at the top is just fantastic. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Hester! Japanese cooking is pretty easy compared to some other Asian foods. Our vacation was wonderful, I'll be posting about it soon. I've just been so lazy since getting back!

    Thanks, Kelly!

    Thanks so much, Shinae! I've been trying with my photos ;o)

    Thanks for visiting my blog Braden and for the sweet comments :o) I'll have to check out the Turkey-Katsu, thanks for the link!

    Thanks, Kimberly, who doesn't like crispy fried food right ;o)

    Thanks, Juanita, I love all Japanese dinnerware :o)



    Thanks, Nami! That's so great that your mom brought you the tonkatsu sauce! I love getting food gifts from Japan. I thought that tontoro was pork cheek/jowl, but it may be neck. It's always hard to figure out the exact translation;o)





    Rosemary, I love that soup too :o)

    Lindsey, I always make katsu-sando with the leftovers :o) Love Marukai!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely recipe and beautiful, beautiful presentations :)
    Hope your vacation was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete